Is there anything that more quickly springs to mind when thinking of summer than the thought of relaxing by the pool with a glass of something refreshing? Swimming pools speak of sunny rays, golden tans and easy days which is exactly where minds wander during the promisingly warmer days of spring.
Explore these luxury swimming pool designs – the often unsung architectural heroes – (including one from Kris Jenner’s pad) and dream of your next tanning session.
Image Credit: Nicky Dobree
1. Years after covering this Nicky Dobree villa project, we still cast our mind back to its pool – a majestic, mirrored sheet situated strategically at the edge of the property’s hillside. The combination of the pristine lawn, the verdant hills and a terracotta-tiled stone outhouse is the perfect setting for relaxing moments, enjoying the evening’s balmy weather.
2. As an appropriately whimsical touch to a picturesque (and admirably eco-conscious) Los Angeles chateau, this shapely pool reaches, infinity-like, over the edge of the property’s hillside to a view of the valley below. Created by celebrated (and celebrity-favoured) architect Richard Landry (image by Erhard Pfeiffer) as part of a notable commission, the pool’s sinuous form is watched on by a nearby loggia crafted of reclaimed oak planks and low-slung day beds. By day, it’s reminiscent of a gentle stream; by night, its reflections mirror the home’s grand arches and regal mansard roofs.
Image Credit: Dessins
3. This Penny Drue Baird’s Sagaponack project makes the case for swimming pools even in those areas which don’t live in an eternal summer. Its pool is the perfect place to relax (we imagine when escaping those sticky New York summers) under the canopy of one of its chaise longue loungers or at its outdoor seating arrangement. Lounge, swim, eat, repeat.
4. The Dutch-born interior designer Eric Kuster knows the power of a good swimming pool and this rimless design is a minimalist masterpiece. Its intrigue comes, not from its shape – a traditional rectangle – but in its flawless recessed profile. It sits flush with the tiled surround creating an unbroken plane which echoes the stretching fields of its surroundings.
Image Credit: Buckingham Interiors + Design
5. A classic but a winner, this home’s spacious swimming pool sprawls out from its stone walls and plays the starring role in its landscape as a result. Its tried and true shape mirror the property’s classic lines; its crystal blue waters reflecting its elegant simplicity.
Image Credit: Jeff Andrews/Grey Crawford
6. This pool might just be the most filmed swimming pool the world has to offer. It’s the pool of reality star and Kardashian tribe manager Kris Jenner. The pool was designed by LA-based interior designer Jeff Andrews and is set in a niche in the grounds of the star’s property. It’s finished with a classic Greek key tile motif and features a raised but submerged seating area in the fore and a grand cabana to the back complete with monochrome striped drapery and walls, a metal outdoor furniture set and fireplace.
7. A Caribbean mansion with steps from the living room to the pool? Why on earth not? This multi-functional pool design cleverly incorporates lounge areas which protrude into the water and an enclosed submerged seating area without affecting the design. The end of the pool marks the start of the beach and a private dock.
8. The beauty of this Thailand pool is its feeling of intimacy (achieved by a hedged border) and its classic use of square stone tiles which age and mature as time passes. The turquoise waters offer the perfect cool-off spot before hitting the parasol-shaded loungers again.
Image Credit: Richard Landry/Erhard Pfeiffer
9. We reckon the effortlessly natural flow of this pool and its meandering river (which connects to another, unseen pool) could inspire blissful thoughts even in the dead of winter. The 100 foot long design – which is set in a tropical Spanish-influenced estate – extends from deep inside the property’s hillside through lush vegetation and calming Balinese stone carvings culminating at a picture-perfect vista with roof terrace and seating nook. A veritable paradise amidst the bustle of the nearby city, the home’s grounds also contain waterfalls, a koi pond, swim-in steam cave, two spas and a swim-up bar.
10. With a breathtakingly panoramic view of the rocky Ibizan skyline, this gravity-defying pool appears to be floating into its stunning view, from one mountain to the other and seemingly without barriers (the use of barely-there glass panels is key). Swimmers enjoy the sensation of there being very little between them and the environment, giving a freedom that only water can give.
Header image courtesy of Ritz Carlton, Dorado Beach.