Sofa Care, Cleaning & Maintenance
Ensure long-term satisfaction from your sofa
It might be said that a sofa is only as good as its aftercare. Whilst a quality sofa can last a long time, treating any upholstery too roughly or neglecting the ever-important sofa TLC might have it looking a little old prematurely.
We want your sofa to be the pride of your living room and for it to perform the way you deserve it to for many years to come. Use these sofa care and maintenance suggestions to keep your special piece as fresh as the day you bought it.
Sofa Care Guidelines
- Weekly light vacuuming using an upholstery attachment and dusting is a great way to reduce dirt and dust and keep your upholstery looking and smelling fresh.
- Once vacuumed, brush with a soft fabric brush to restore the nap (the textural raised surface) of the fabric.
- Sofa cushions should be fluffed and rotated regularly, where possible. This is more difficult for single-sided sofa cushions.
- Use throw cushions or blankets to keep dirt away from a sofa’s back covers and arms. A blanket on an arm which is well-used won’t look out of place and will act as a barrier against staining.
- To prevent excess wear and potentially difficult stains, pets should be kept off of sofas.
- There are many fabric treatments which can be used to make your sofa upholstery even more durable. Your manufacturer should be able to advise you on this.
- Plan for regular professional cleaning.
How To Clean Your Sofa
At LuxDeco, we always recommend to have luxury sofas professionally cleaned depending on their specific fabric requirements. Many well-known upholstery fabric houses recommend this too. This way you can close-to-ensure that the sofa’s colour will remain consistent after cleaning and that the fabric won't be permanently damaged.
However, sometimes sofas will have smaller marks which don’t require a full clean or perhaps you’ve spilled something and you need to act fast. In these cases, you may want to try some gentle cleaning methods at home, but this should only be done after consulting with your sofa manufacturer and confirming that light spot cleaning is appropriate.
Your manufacturer will help you identify your specific sofa’s fabric composition and perhaps even give you suggestions on how to best care for it.
How To Clean Loose Cushion Covers
If you’re a fan of the loose cover look, it’s a smart way to prolong the life of your sofa and make cleaning a breeze. Loose covers can be removed easily and cleaned according to the manufacturer’s instructions whenever needed.
A second set of slip covers wouldn’t go amiss. Not only will it allow your covers to have a break between uses, it offers you the chance to change your look. Just be sure that any washing won’t affect the fabric’s initial treatments, like fire retardancy.
Remember, loose covers should never be tumble dried—this could cause them to shrink.
The information presented in this article is intended as a general guideline. LuxDeco will not accept responsibility for damage caused by applying the information. Always consult a professional upholstery cleaning company when in doubt.
Shop Designer Sofas
Here at LuxDeco, our team of highly skilled designers are on hand to give their expert advice and help design your perfect sofa. If you are interested in buying a new sofa or upgrading your existing one, email@example.com or +44 (0)20 3322 8665.
Continue on your sofa journey and learn more about the craftsmanship and care that goes into the production of our luxury sofas.